[R-sig-ME] strong effect of prior on residual variance

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu May 5 15:41:03 CEST 2016

Hi,

It doesn't make sense to have B as a random effect - it should be a
fixed effect. The sensitivity of the prior is because there are almost
as many levels of B as there are observations, so there is a one-to-one
mapping between B and the residuals.

If you want to model sexual dimorphism (for example as a function of B)
why not have a sex by B interaction?

Cheers,

Jarrod