[R-sig-ME] strong effect of prior on residual variance

Rob Griffin robgriffin247 at hotmail.com
Thu May 5 15:08:39 CEST 2016

Hi Jarrod,
Thanks for the speedy response,
There is just one measure of T per cohort. T is sexual dimorphism in a trait, so its a cohort level value - individuals can't be sexually dimorphic: it was calculated using mcmcglmm to estimate cohort-specific posterior distributions for both male and female trait values, then randomising the order of the distributions and dividing them (Male[sample_i]/Female[sample_i]) where i is 1:1000. I then took the mean of the posterior for each cohort as my response variable. It's much the same as one could do to derive a posterior distribution of heritability when given posterior distributions of additive and phenotypic variation (also as stated on page 5 of the course notes). Perhaps it would be more appropriate to use the entire posterior distributions of SD for all 90 cohort rather than the just means (so there would be 1000 samples of SD per cohort)?
B is a numerical variable, if expressed as a factor it has 65 levels (not all years have a measure of B). Should this be converted to a factor?
Cheers,Rob