[R-sig-ME] No need to handle between-group correlation structure in glmm in general?

Junyan Luo jzl106 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:15:36 CET 2012

Hi Dr. Pierce,

Thanks for the reply! And the information you provided is very useful!
Do you know if any existing R tools can handle this type of analysis?

The suggestion of comparing model fit is a good idea, but probably a
more important issue is whether the presence of correlated random
effects biases the parameter estimation. I am aware of a few test
techniques related to this, but totally unsure about their
implications. For example, is it a good idea to perform Moran's I test
on the second level residuals? (Or random effects directly?) A more
important question is, if Moran's I suggests autocorrelation in second
level residuals, would it be corrected by incorporating an correlation
structure for random effects?

REGARDS,
Junyan