[R-sig-ME] No need to handle between-group correlation structure in glmm in general?

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Thu Mar 15 14:04:42 CET 2012

Junyan,

Hofmann et al. (2000) and Raudenbush & Bryk (2002) both specifically say
that level 2 residuals are supposed to be independent in a 2-level model.
So, I think it is very important to directly test that assumption and modify
the model to account for autocorrelation if it is present. It may not always
make a huge difference in practice, but I consider that the conceptually
appropriate way to proceed. Ultimately geostatistical models performed
better than adding a conditional autoregressive (CAR) structure to a
traditional multilevel model in my own work.

My dissertation (Pierce, 2010) was contrasting different ways of modeling
neighborhood effects on residents and lays out an argument for why
geostatistical approaches may be better tools than traditional multilevel
models for answering some kinds of questions. I used an exact Moran's I test
for regression residuals to detect autocorrelation in level 2 residuals in
my own work (see Bivand, Pebesma, & Gomez-Rubio, 2008, pp. 258-264 and the
lm.morantest.exact function from the spdep package in R). In terms of
software, I used a combination of R and WinBUGS to run my multilevel models
because I wanted to use Bayesian methods as similar as possible to the
geostatistical models implemented in the spBayes package. WinBUGS did the
real estimation work, but I used R for data management, calling WinBUGS,
then post-processing the WinBUGS results.

Bivand, R. S., Pebesma, E. J., & Gómez-Rubio, V. (2008). Applied spatial
data analysis with R. New York, NY: Springer Science+Business Media.

Hofmann, D. A., Griffin, M. A., & Gavin, M. B. (2000). The application of
hierarchical linear modeling to organizational research. In K. J. Klein & S.
W. J. Kozlowski (Eds.), Multilevel theory, research, and methods in
organizations: Foundations, extensions, and new directions (pp. 467-511).
San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Pierce, S. J. (2010). Using geostatistical models to study neighborhood
effects: An alternative to hierarchical linear models. (Doctoral
dissertation).  Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database.
(UMI No. 3417821)
https://www.msu.edu/~pierces1/S_Pierce_Final_Dissertation_2010.pdf

Raudenbush, S. W., & Bryk, A. S. (2002). Hierarchical linear models:
Applications and data analysis methods (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
Publications.

Regards,

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu