[R-sig-ME] No need to handle between-group correlation structure in glmm in general?

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Wed Mar 14 13:37:03 CET 2012

The best thing to do would be to empirically test whether modeling the
spatial autocorrelation in the level 2 random effects improves model fit
compared with a simpler model that assumes independence of those random
effects. In my dissertation work, adding spatial autocorrelation at level 2
improved a model (but not dramatically).

Check out the following resources:

Beard, J. R. (2008). New approaches to multilevel analysis. Journal of Urban
Health, 85(6), 805-806. doi: 10.1007/s11524-008-9314-7

Browne, W., & Goldstein, H. (2010). MCMC sampling for a multilevel model
with non-independent residuals within and between cluster units. Journal of
Educational and Behavioral Statistics, 35(4), 453-473. doi:
10.3102/1076998609359788

Chaix, B., Leyland, A. H., Sabel, C. E., Chauvin, P., Råstam, L.,
Kristersson, H., & Merlo, J. (2006). Spatial clustering of mental disorders
and associated characteristics of the neighbourhood context in Malmö,
Sweden, in 2001. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 60(5),
427-435. doi: 10.1136/jech.2005.040360

Chaix, B., Merlo, J., & Chauvin, P. (2005). Comparison of a spatial approach
with the multilevel approach for investigating place effects on health: The
example of healthcare utilisation in France. Journal of Epidemiology and
Community Health, 59(6), 517-526. doi: 10.1136/jech.2004.025478

Chaix, B., Merlo, J., Evans, D., Leal, C., & Havard, S. (2009).
Neighborhoods in eco-epidemiologic research: Delimiting personal exposure
areas. A response to Riva, Gauvin, Apparicio and Brodeur. Social Science &
Medicine, 69(9), 1306-1310. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.07.018

Chaix, B., Merlo, J., Subramanian, S. V., Lynch, J., & Chauvin, P. (2005).
Comparison of a spatial perspective with the multilevel analytical approach
in neighborhood studies: The case of mental and behavioral disorders due to
psychoactive substance use in Malmö, Sweden, 2001. American Journal of
Epidemiology, 162(2), 171-182. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwi175

Fagg, J., Curtis, S., Clark, C., Congdon, P., & Stansfeld, S. A. (2008).
Neighbourhood perceptions among inner-city adolescents: Relationships with
their individual characteristics and with independently assessed
neighbourhood conditions. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 28(2),
128-142. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvp.2007.10.004

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu