[R-SIG-Mac] 'R CMD build <mypkg>' fails to 'make clean' when <mypkg> has a Makefile

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 18 06:50:45 CEST 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Herve Pages wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This problem has already been reported here more than 1 year ago by Brian J. Lopes:
>
>  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2007-May/003863.html

Maybe, but (AFAICS, see also below) no one submitted a patch to the
appropriate list (r-devel) nor even a 'wish' to R-bugs.

> It's still present in R 2.8.0 beta (2008-10-07 r46631) on Mac OS X as you can see
> on the last build/check report for the xps package (Biosconductor):

Why are you using a test version over a week old?  CRAN tests on the
current (when the test round started) version of R.

>  http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.3/bioc-LATEST/xps/pitt-buildsrc.html
>
> xps has a Makefile in its src/ folder (with a "clean:" target) and 'make clean'
> works fine for me if I run it manually from within the src/ folder on build
> machine pitt. However, 'R CMD build' fails to clean the src/ folder because
> it's apparently trying to access
>  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/etc/Makeconf
> instead of
>  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/etc/<arch>/Makeconf
>
> Are there any chance that this could be addressed?

A chance, but not in code freeze for 2.8.0.  (Your timing is the worse
possible.)

That's an unusual setup (developing on a system with sub-architectures).
If you submit a tested patch it is more likely to be 'addressed' once the
R-2-8-branch is open again.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk