[R-SIG-Mac] 'R CMD build <mypkg>' fails to 'make clean' when <mypkg> has a Makefile

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 18 03:56:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

This problem has already been reported here more than 1 year ago by Brian J. Lopes:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2007-May/003863.html

It's still present in R 2.8.0 beta (2008-10-07 r46631) on Mac OS X as you can see
on the last build/check report for the xps package (Biosconductor):

  http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.3/bioc-LATEST/xps/pitt-buildsrc.html

xps has a Makefile in its src/ folder (with a "clean:" target) and 'make clean'
works fine for me if I run it manually from within the src/ folder on build
machine pitt. However, 'R CMD build' fails to clean the src/ folder because
it's apparently trying to access
  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/etc/Makeconf
instead of
  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/etc/<arch>/Makeconf

Are there any chance that this could be addressed?

Thanks in advance,
H.