[R-SIG-Mac] History problems with R.app GUI 1.20

Vili Lehdonvirta vili.lehdonvirta at hiit.fi
Fri Jul 6 15:56:14 CEST 2007

Hi!

In short, I am experiencing the same problems as this poster:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-March/102264.html

I am using R 2.5.1 GUI 1.20 (4535) installed from a binary under OS X
10.4.10.

More verbosely:

I installed R 2.5.0 on this machine two weeks ago, played around with
it a little, and installed packages tm and Rstem. I also
unsuccessfully attempted to install ttda. Today I returned to R with
the intention of continuing from where I left off. Workspace objects
were there, but the command history only contained a couple of dozen
entries from my first session, the last entry being "library
(ttda)" (after which I probably quit that particular session). I
noted that new commands were being added to the history drawer, but
not written to .Rhistory upon exit. However, .Rhistory was touched
every time (timestamp updated).

I proceeded to uninstall R 2.5.0 by removing /Applications/R.app, /
Library/Frameworks/R.framework, ~/.RData, ~/.Rhistory and ~/Library/
Preferences/org.R-project.R.plist. I then installed R 2.5.1 without
the additional packages, but the same problem persisted. I
experimented with the "Save History" and "Load History" buttons with
the same results as the poster referenced above. The history files
produced this way look like this:

$ cat h.history
ls()#

summary(x)#

rm(x)#

$

I then uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed again, and ran a short
session. This time, the session history was saved successfully upon
exit. However, in subsequent sessions the problem reappeared. I tried
deleting org.R-project.R.plist but this had no effect.

The text based interface invoked from Terminal seems to work properly
and the GUI successfully loads the history produced by the text based
interface.

-- Vili Lehdonvirta