[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Preprocessing RData file (data.table and ff, bigmemory)

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:33:10 CEST 2009

>From a recent post by the author:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp08/2009-March/193490.html

Further information on 'ff' and 'bigmemory' is covered in those
respective packages.

As far as combining the two/three, I would wait to hear back from Matt
on exactly how to do that.  I thought there was an example somewhere
if I recall...

The main advantage to using large datasets in RAM is simply
efficiency.  'ff' makes that process manageable without a lot of RAM,
bigmemory can bypass single process limits of R (and do some cool
memory sharing).  The advantage to both is really confined to 32bit
processing, if I am thinking straight.

This is probably more of a question for R-help at this point, or even
R-Sig-db though, as the 'finance' part is only tangential.

If you can break the data up with something like a db scheme, then xts
will be faster than all (?) the other solutions for in-memory
manipulation -- as it is time-series oriented.  And if you've got
64bits and lots of RAM it should do most of what you need.

HTH
Jeff