[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Preprocessing RData file (data.table and ff, bigmemory)

Steve Jaffe sjaffe at riskspan.com
Fri May 22 16:18:38 CEST 2009

I'm new to R and interested in working with large amounts of data
(timeseries, but regularly spaced.) Can you point me to a good reference for
using data.table with bigmemory or ff?

(I'm a bit puzzled about what exactly these packages provide. As I
understand it, on 32-bit platforms files are subject to the same 2GB limit
as in-process memory, so I assume that dealing with a larger dataset still
requires breaking it up into multiple files...)

Thanks for your help.

I failed to point out that data.table can make use of both (?) those
packages. [ff, bigmemory]

It isn't a time-series library per se, but it make one very cool
in-memory database.  Similar in spirit to some of the not-so-free ones
out there...

Jeff