[R-sig-Debian] R package update on Kubuntu

Michael Rutter marutter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:36:39 CET 2016

On 01/04/2016 01:25 PM, klerer at sxmail.de wrote:
> Dear list,[1]I use a current and continuously updated Linux
>   distribution (Kubuntu, 14.XY < LTS < 15.10) and since not so long I decided to
> venture into R statistical programming by means of an editor suitable
> for KDE called "rkward"; the R version installed on that Linux machine
> is version 3.0.2.[2]I experienced problems concerning the installation
> of R packages and R packages' updates as well as editor updates (you don't
> have to worry to deal with the latter as I have still to contact the
> "rkward" team on that issue) lately. [3]My most important problem by now is that I
>   apparently were using one mirror (a "https://" mirror of a University
> in my home country) too often and that grew into a problem in so far as
> package updates via my GUI of choice ("rkward") are now not possible anymore.[4]Do you know a way/ ways out? I especially contact you because Kubuntu is a Debian flavour so that an answer (or hint) to the problem('s resolution) presented in [3] could perhaps require knowledge that would exceed that of a "helping hand's" abilities.Best regards,Markus Hofstetter

Markus,

My suggestion would be to use the following series of PPA's to keep
up-to date on the packages:

Base R: https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter
Additional Packages: https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/c2d4u
RKWard:
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/ubuntu/rkward-stable-cran

If you install those PPA's and then install packages as you would a
regular Ubuntu package (apt-get, for example) then all will be updated
automatically.

Michael