[R-pkg-devel] How do I know if/when my package is fit for CRAN?

Michael Dewey li@t@ @ending from dewey@myzen@co@uk
Thu Jun 7 13:00:09 CEST 2018

Comments in-line

On 07/06/2018 11:23, Voeten, C.C. wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have been working on an R package for the past two years. It started as a programming exercise for me to get acquainted with R, and because I had some issues with lmerTest::step (the aim of my package was to automate the protocol I use for performing model comparisons using LRT, also when one of the models does not converge or is not an lme4 model; these three things of LRT, nonconvergence, and non-lme4 models are not handled by lmerTest::step). Over the past two years, I have completely refactored the package multiple times as I realized there were better/cleaner ways to do things, and it has now grown into something that I use in my day-to-day statistical life.
>
> Now, it occurs to me that my code may be of use to other people. However, at the same time, I also feel that the package is nowhere near 'done', in the sense of polished code that is free of my personal quirks; here I do not mean little things like coding style, but rather more generally my overall approach to things. (I also know of a few bugs that need fixing, but that is easy - just need to find the time to do it.)
> My question is: how do I know (1) if my package belongs on CRAN (it did start out as a personal project, after all)

There are quite a few packages on CRAN which are collections of things
which people personally found useful so I would have thought your
package might well be of benefit.

; and (2) when the code is in good enough shape to be submitted without
me wasting the time of the people reviewing the submissions?  The code
is currently at [1], but my question is explicitly not for other people
to review my code - instead, I am asking how I can do that myself!

If it passes the standard checks it should be accepted. There are
packages which contain stylistic features which I would not write myself
but that would not matter. If people start using it they will probably
give you feedback anyway.

One thing which occurs to me though is whether the maintaner of lmerTest
would accept it into the package? If it has a different philosophy
probably not but perhaps worth asking?

Michael

> Thank you for any advice,
> Cesko