[R-pkg-devel] How do I know if/when my package is fit for CRAN?

Voeten, C.C. c@c@voeten @ending from hum@leidenuniv@nl
Thu Jun 7 12:23:01 CEST 2018

Dear list,

I have been working on an R package for the past two years. It started as a programming exercise for me to get acquainted with R, and because I had some issues with lmerTest::step (the aim of my package was to automate the protocol I use for performing model comparisons using LRT, also when one of the models does not converge or is not an lme4 model; these three things of LRT, nonconvergence, and non-lme4 models are not handled by lmerTest::step). Over the past two years, I have completely refactored the package multiple times as I realized there were better/cleaner ways to do things, and it has now grown into something that I use in my day-to-day statistical life.

Now, it occurs to me that my code may be of use to other people. However, at the same time, I also feel that the package is nowhere near 'done', in the sense of polished code that is free of my personal quirks; here I do not mean little things like coding style, but rather more generally my overall approach to things. (I also know of a few bugs that need fixing, but that is easy - just need to find the time to do it.)
My question is: how do I know (1) if my package belongs on CRAN (it did start out as a personal project, after all); and (2) when the code is in good enough shape to be submitted without me wasting the time of the people reviewing the submissions?  The code is currently at [1], but my question is explicitly not for other people to review my code - instead, I am asking how I can do that myself!

Thank you for any advice,
Cesko

[1] https://github.com/cvoeten/buildmer