[Rd] MetaCran website v1.0.0-alpha

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Tue May 26 09:45:31 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 8:28 PM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>
wrote:

> One issue I have with this is that it doesn't point to the original GitHub
> repositories of the packages, so you end up with additional repositories on
> Github in Gabor's name that have nothing to do with the actual Github
> repositories of the packages. I understand that it's technically necessary,
> but I fear it will lead to a lot of confusion...

Well, we point to the original GitHub repo is that is given in the URL
field. It would be nice to have an "official" field for source code
repository in DESCRIPTION.

But I agree with you that this has great potential for confusion. Several
people have been sending pull requests to github.com/cran repos, most of
them not realizing that they are not the right repos to fork. (Although
many packages are not on GH or any other similar service, and then are kind
of the places to fork.)

I could have a large warning popup on the link from r-pkg.org, with red
flags, and you would see this before the actual repo. But this has its own
problems, like being annoying after a while, how to turn it off with
browser cookies, etc.

The best would be to somehow have a warning on the GitHub repo pages, but
there isn't a lot I can modify there if I don't want to change/add the
README file, which would effectively change the package. I could probably
add 'WARNING: this is a read-only mirror, and not the original package
repository' to the one-line description on the top.

If you have other ideas, please let me know.

Gabor