[BioC] Agilent G4112A Arrays

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Mon Jan 25 16:38:10 CET 2010

The more data one has, the fewer assumptions one needs.  In the
absence of replication, you cannot get p-values without very strong
assumptions.  e.g. you could assume that the vast majority of the
genes do not differentially express, that their M-values have equal
variance and that the M-values are normally distributed.  Then you
could use e.g. the IQR of the M-values to estimate the sd and use
this to pick a fold cut-off for DE.  You have no reasonable way to
estimate FDR with this approach, but it might be slightly better than
using 2-fold - or then again, it might not.  Without replication,
there is no way to know.

Regards,
Naomi Altman