[BioC] Cloud Plotting? flowViz/Core

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 6 23:02:30 CET 2009

Aric Gregson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There does not appear to be any implementation of the corresponding
> cloud plot from lattice in flowViz, is that correct? Would it be
> possible or is it planned to implement it?

Hi Aric,
at the moment there are no concrete plans of doing so. However, you are
invited to try an implementation yourself. All that needs to be done is
to write an S4 method for flowFrames and flowSets, and it might be as
simple as extracting the data and faking the necessary formula to plot
the right parameters. However, I expect this to be very slow because
typical flow data sets are too big to efficiently plot individual
points, and a 3D density representation might be more useful.
> Also, this may be a sort of bug, not sure. Not a big deal, as no one
> uses plot(), but still this does not follow the most recent flowCore
> pamphlet.

Yikes. Used to work before but I assume that either changes in the name
space or the methods package broke it. It is sort of non-standard use of
S4 methods, so maybe somebody else could help out here. The issue is
that we define an S4 method in flowCore that tells people to attach
flowViz. In flowViz we define another plot method with exactly the same
signature which does the plotting, and the idea was that this method now
overwrites the flowCore one. Is there a way to force the calling of a
method from a particular package (or rather name space)?

Florian

--
Florian Hahne, PhD
Computational Biology Program