[BioC] Finding Genomic Orthologs with biomaRt

steffen at stat.Berkeley.EDU steffen at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 17 19:40:37 CET 2008

Hi Gundula,

This should be possible with biomaRt for the species present in Ensembl.
You might need to do a few queries though.

Here's an example.

human = useMart("ensembl",dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
orth =
getBM(c("ensembl_gene_id","zebrafish_ensembl_gene","zebrafish_orthology_type","zebrafish_percent_identity","xenopus_ensembl_gene","xenopus_orthology_type","xenopus_percent_identity"),
filters="ensembl_gene_id",values = c("ENSG00000213281","ENSG00000171862"),
mart = human)

Given two human ensembl gene identifiers, the example above will give you
the Ensembl gene identifiers of orthologs in zebrafish and xenopus.  You
also retrieve the orthology type and the percent identity of these
orthologs compared to human.

Cheers,
Steffen