[BioC] hyperG over chromosome position...?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 16 19:29:28 CET 2007

Hi,
   Just a couple of notes,
1) chromosomal location is typically not biologically relevant in higher
organisms, AFAIK. Since I work at a cancer center, and since some (but
by no means all) genomic abnormalities in cancer induce an effect that
can be detected by chromosomal location these sorts of things are
interesting to me. Anyone using this approach should, IMHO, have a sound
biological reason for doing so.

2) Chromosome bands are probably not ideal (as Francois so correctly
points out), but they have the advantage of being easily obtained. Other
options will require more effort.

3) the code that does this in the Category package and is called
MAPAmat, but it is flawed in a number of ways. Seth and I will put
something up that is better in a week or two.

4) any other contributions are welcome, particularly well implemented
and documented functions.

  best wishes
    Robert

Francois Pepin wrote:
> Hi Dario,
>
> It is possible to do it with the chromosomal band using Category. That
> was the last part of Robert Gentleman's Category tutorial at BioC2006
> (http://www.bioconductor.org/workshops/2006/BioC2006/labs/rgentleman/).
>
> I'm not convinced if the chromosomal bands are the best partition to use
> in that case, but it's a good starting point.
>
> Francois
>
> On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 07:43 -0800, Seth Falcon wrote:
>> Hi Dario,

>> Actually, this is on my list of things to add to the Category
>> package.  If you, or anyone, wants to do some programming, take a look
>> at how the KEGG and PFAM tests are implemented.  A first pass for
>> chromosome position will be quite similar.
>>
>> + seth
>>
>> --
>> Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
>> http://bioconductor.org

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences