[BioC] hyperG over chromosome position...?

Dario Greco dario.greco at helsinki.fi
Tue Jan 16 21:18:08 CET 2007

hi all,
thanks a lot for your emails and for implementing something (too
late, you kind of promised now)! :)
i will not even try, as i am far away from being a proper developer,
i guess :)

I agree that in many cases the chromosomal location is not
biologically relevant, but there are some situations where it might
be interesting to investigate.

i am right now working with two different datasets:
1) a dataset where the subject is Down Syndrome. of course it could
sound stupid, but still nice to provide statistics for the massive
chr21 upregulation :)
moreover, there are interesting issues of "critical regions" for
diseases that are associated to DS and that have been historically
described in certain cytobands of chr21 (eg. AtrioVentricular Septal
Defect - AVSD - having probably 21q2.3 as critical region) .
2) a dataset where the subject is Tybe 2 Diabetes where i apparently
observe clusters of dis-regulated genes located into the same
chromosomal regions.

besides these autobiographic stories, there are appealing theories
inferring  that co-regulated genes might sit (sometimes) close to
each other onto the same chromosomal region, to my understanding.

i anyway agree with the fact that cytobands don't represent a very
meaningful way to define chromatin "spots", but they are quite easy
to deal with. definitely it would be much better to have something
more "biological" to split the chromosomes!

thanks again for your attention and help!
sincerely

Dario Greco

Institute of Biotechnology - University of Helsinki
Building Cultivator II
P.O.Box 56    Viikinkaari 4
FIN-00014    Finland

Office: +358 9 191 58951