[BioC] average linkage clustering in Eisen's Cluster vs. that in hclust

Antoine Lucas antoinelucas at libertysurf.fr
Wed Nov 30 14:12:25 CET 2005

Hi,

Xcluster does same algorithm as Eisen software. This software can
be use within R with ctc package.

(Xcluster: http://genetics.stanford.edu/~sherlock/cluster.html)

One advantage of this method is that we are not oblige to store the
whole distance matrix: Xcluster requires very few memory allocation.

A problem could arrive by example when agglomerating 3 points of equal
distance (an isometric triangle):
 * first node will agglomerate two corners with a distance 'd'
 * second node will agglomerate the last corner with the midle of
   the other corners with distance 'd'.sqrt(3)/2

Your tree will be difficult to draw as distance are not increasing while
agglomerating more and more... but can be easily skip.

Antoine Lucas.