[BioC] Limma analysis

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Oct 30 07:22:22 MET 2003

At 02:25 PM 30/10/2003, Pete wrote:
>Sorry I didn't explain that particularly well, firstly how do I create a
>design matrix for this experiment?

I simply haven't been clever enough to figure out a way to automate the
process of creating the design matrix for direct designs with two-colour
arrays. Send me offline (1) your targets file (see the limma 1.3.0 manual
for the meaning of a targets file) and (2) what comparisons you want to
make between your samples or questions you want to answer, and I will try
to get someone to suggest a design matrix.

>Also as far as I can see the read.imagene function doesn't read in the flag
>information for each file, in imagene each spot can have a flag value from
>0-8? and in this case we want to ignore completely anything which is non
>zero. Presumably this could be specified in the wt.fun argument, but i'm
>unsure precisely how to do this? I have tried to modify the wtflags function
>but without success.

mywtfun <- function(x) {
as.numeric(x[,"Flag"] == 0)
}

RG <- read.maimages(files, source="imagene", wt.fun=mywtfun)

Please note: I do not personally recommend ignoring flagged points in this
way. I would personally down-weight them somewhat but would not ignore them
completely. I don't think that spots split cleanly in this way into good
and bad spots and I don't have anything like this sort of faith in
Imagene's (or any other program's) ability to pick one from the other.

Regards
Gordon