[BioC] Affy: Present calls in an eset

Crispin Miller CMiller at PICR.man.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 16:54:10 MEST 2003

Hi,

MAS5.0 gives you two numbers, the expression level for each gene, and a
detection p-value that tells you how confident MAS5.0 is that it got the
expression level right. This p-value is then split into three categories
(simply by thresholding) to give you Present, Marginal or Absent calls.
Generally, thresholding by intensity does something similar to using the
detection p-value, but not always, for every gene, in every situation.
Keeping these two concepts distinct (accuracy and confidence), is IMHO
not a bad idea (we can of course argue about how best to calculate
metrics for these :-)). After all, this seems to be what we are doing
when we generate not only a fold-change but also a p-score across
replicates for each gene in a study.

Crispin