[BioC] Affy: Present calls in an eset

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Tue Oct 14 19:49:50 MEST 2003

fyi,
we just put into the devel version of affy the method "mas5calls", that
works on instance of AffyBatch and ProbeSet, that for AffyBatch returns an
exprSet with  MAS 5.0 P,M,A calls in the exprs slot and the wilcoxon
test pvalue in the se.exprs slot. According to our tests, The P,M,A calls
reproduce affymetrix's almost perfectly. the p-values dont match up as well.

we would greatly appreciate feedback.

the engine function mas5.detection that works on nx2 matrices, was
contributed by Ben Rubinstein

-r

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Rafael A. Irizarry wrote:

> we will *try* to have mascall fro the next release.
>
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 Arne.Muller at aventis.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get your point with interpreting absent/present calls. Technically it's a
> > nice feature, becasue one can just discard the majority of the genes on the
> > chip for further analysis. In fact I think absent/present calls make sense in
> > terms of biology, since just a fraction of the genes are realy expressed at a
> > time. How to express this numerially is a different story (and I guess a
> > difficult one).
> >
> > Anyway, with MAS the calls are calculated anyway, can't they? So, I'd be nice
> > (at least for "completness") to add a "mascall" method to the exprSet objects
> > generated by affy. What do you think?
> >
> > By the way, if you ignore the call, do you set an arbitrary intensity cutoff
> > later in your analysis, or do just reley on the statistics (anova  p-value or
> > whatever)?
> >
> > 	regards,
> >
> > 	Arne

| Rafael Irizarry			phone:	(410) 614-5157		|
| Assistant Professor			fax:	(410) 955-0958		|
| Department of Biostatistics		office: E3035			|
| Johns Hopkins University		email:	rafa at jhu.edu		|