[Bioc-devel] System Requirements for imported packages

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Apr 20 19:55:11 CEST 2016

On 04/20/2016 12:14 PM, Zach Skidmore wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm curious what the preferred method is for dealing with System
> Requirements originating from an imported package. For example, if I had
> a package that imported `biomaRt` which itself imports `XML` which has
> the SystemRequirement `libxml2` how is that dealt with? Are package
> installers expected to troubleshoot this (via install messages), should
> I put this requirement and install instructions for `libxml2` in a
> README for my package?

I think you should concern yourself only with the system dependencies of
_your_ package, rather than trying to track or duplicate indirect system
dependencies. If you're not satisfied with the way the original package
'helps' users to satisfy system dependencies, then you should
communicate with the maintainer of the original package. That way your
users, and indeed all direct and indirect users of the original package,
benefit from improved instructions.

Martin