[Bioc-devel] Help using Git with Bioconductor SVN repositories

Elena Grassi grassi.e at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:35:14 CEST 2015

> Then I tried forking the repo available from bioconductor-mirror
> (https://github.com/Bioconductor-mirror/GenomicTuples). This resulted
> in an error due to a non-existent devel branch.

Yep, same here. I disabilited the git-svn bridge forked the
Bioconductor-mirror/REPO and cloned it, used update_remotes.sh but no
devel branch there:
data at decoder:~/Dropbox/work/RNAseq/ERI/roar/roar_svn$ git branch -a
* master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/release-3.0
  remotes/origin/release-3.1

I was thinking that I will be using master as devel while reading the
docs then I stumbled across devel and stopped there.

I've seen people talking about cherry pick to keep their previous git
history but it's not really clear to me how this should work...I was
willing to use git-diff to get back my previous work. If that sounds a
good approach then another question: can I use the forked repo adding
branches to develop new feature in a separate branch and then
merge/rebase/whatever them in master (or devel?) when they are ready
to go in the devel version of my package?

Thank you very much,
E.