New release, and old problem yet again

Yohan Chalabi chalabi at phys.ethz.ch
Sat Oct 25 22:09:43 CEST 2008

   DE> Gents,
   DE>
   DE> Why were timeDate and timeSeries split off fBasics?
   DE>
   DE> Had we not agreed to stop with this proliferation of packages?  Lastly, every
   DE> time this happen, someone promises to give me a heads-up so that I can insert
   DE> pre-releases package into Debian's NEW queue so that we would have a chance
   DE> of having them in at actual release.
   DE>
   DE> Now we again have the indeterminate wait for them and the rest of Rmetrics is
   DE> upheld as everything depends on timeDate and timeSeries.
   DE>
   DE> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

timeDate and timeSeries are not split off fBasics. They replace the
packages fCalendar and fSeries. Their respective classes had many
internal changes that we decided to rename them and keep the old
packages on CRAN for backward compatibility purpose.

Actually we are trying to reduce the number of packages. For example
fUtilities will be considered obsolete because its functions have been
moved to timeDate, timeSeries and fBasics.

I am sorry that we did not get in contact with you before.

We can continue this discussion off-list.

Best regards,
Yohan
--
PhD student