[R-wiki] Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced... new attempt

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 30 17:09:11 CET 2006

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> I agree that the technical capabilities of the wiki are impressive and have
> mentioned that.  Its the specific organization of the content that is confusing.
> I think your comments relate to the technical capability to organize
> the content whereas I am referring to the specific organization.
>
> I understand that the structure is not fixed and somewhat amphorous
> yet the top level categories would tend to be set in stone at the beginning
> and therefore need to be well thought out.

   I think we all agree on that. The trick is actually deciding what
those categories should be.

http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=varia:organization_discussion

is one attempt to think about some categories, but I'm not sure it
should be the very top level -- I think it's second-level.

   I would propose:

   introductions and tutorials [incl stats-with-R, tutorials:
         mostly large chunks that people have written as introductions,
         including subject-area-specific or task-specific;
       also roll in beginners section material here??
        wikified task views, vignettes, etc.?]
   notes/tips/FAQs/examples [this would be organized
       according to organization_discussion; Rtips would be rolled into
       it as a starter]
   packages [notes on packages/wikified package documentation]
   documentation [annotated/wikified R documentation: right now there
      seem to be two top-level headings, "rdoc" and "documentation"]
   miscellaneous [=varia -- propose name change]
   wiki [wiki documentation and meta-information]

   possibly:
     separate beginners section?
     separate "resources/links" section?

   This may be a really obvious point, but when the Wiki actually goes
live the front page should be clean, well-organized, and friendly:
I would suggest putting an Overview/table of contents at the top
of the page, followed by (in some order, and at much lower priority)
other info about icons, RSS, etc. -- and move the wiki-editing stuff
off.  (It's important to make people aware early that they can
modify the wiki, but the very first thing a novice user is going
to want to do is to find and read information -- not edit.)

   cheers
      Ben

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704