[R-wiki] Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced... new attempt

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Jan 30 17:29:30 CET 2006

Ben Bolker wrote:
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>
>>I agree that the technical capabilities of the wiki are impressive and have
>>mentioned that.  Its the specific organization of the content that is confusing.
>>I think your comments relate to the technical capability to organize
>>the content whereas I am referring to the specific organization.
>>
>>I understand that the structure is not fixed and somewhat amphorous
>>yet the top level categories would tend to be set in stone at the beginning
>>and therefore need to be well thought out.
>>

>    I think we all agree on that. The trick is actually deciding what
> those categories should be.
>
> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=varia:organization_discussion
>
> is one attempt to think about some categories, but I'm not sure it
> should be the very top level -- I think it's second-level.
>
>    I would propose:
>
>    introductions and tutorials [incl stats-with-R, tutorials:
>          mostly large chunks that people have written as introductions,
>          including subject-area-specific or task-specific;
>        also roll in beginners section material here??
>         wikified task views, vignettes, etc.?]
>    notes/tips/FAQs/examples [this would be organized
>        according to organization_discussion; Rtips would be rolled into
>        it as a starter]
>    packages [notes on packages/wikified package documentation]
>    documentation [annotated/wikified R documentation: right now there
>       seem to be two top-level headings, "rdoc" and "documentation"]
>    miscellaneous [=varia -- propose name change]
>    wiki [wiki documentation and meta-information]
>
>    possibly:
>      separate beginners section?
>      separate "resources/links" section?

Could you, please, add this to the
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=varia:organization_discussion?
I think that, at this point, you should agree with Tony Plate and Gabor
Grothendieck to rework the page completelly and eliminate all the
revision stuff on the page.

>    This may be a really obvious point, but when the Wiki actually goes
> live the front page should be clean, well-organized, and friendly:
> I would suggest putting an Overview/table of contents at the top
> of the page, followed by (in some order, and at much lower priority)
> other info about icons, RSS, etc. -- and move the wiki-editing stuff
> off.  (It's important to make people aware early that they can
> modify the wiki, but the very first thing a novice user is going
> to want to do is to find and read information -- not edit.)
>
>    cheers
>       Ben

That is perfectly true! I was inspired from the start page of DokuWiki
that emphasizes on how to use the Wiki... but our start page must rather
be a clear overview/table of content instead. The actual content of the
start page should be moved to the wiki namespace. Good point!
Best,

Philippe Grosjean