[R-wiki] Bilan & TODOs

Drew drewbrewit at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 15:19:02 CET 2006

Philippe, thanks again for keeping this list
organized.

I have a suggestion for a wiki plugin. Although I do
not have the
programming skills to create such a plugin myself I
will share it with this
list to see what others think. If others think it is
worth doing (or at
least possible) then one or more of us can persue the
idea further.

In a nutshell, the plugin/functionality I propose
would allow registered
users (of the wiki) to create a personal code library
for themselves. (Note:
I use the word code here to refer to any R functions,
scripts, data files,
tips, etc. in general that the user finds useful.)
Users store their
personal R code library on their hard drive in text
files organized in a
directory structure that matches the structure of the
public code library
that will be developed on the R wiki. When user logs
onto the wiki, the R
wiki script/plugin collates user's personal code with
the public code
library on the wiki. In a single browser window, the
user sees both the
public code from the wiki and their personal code
stored on their hard
drive. When the user wants to share their personal
code, they can click a
button in their browser window which will make the
code a permenant part of
the wiki.

Rationale for such a plugin: How many of us have R
code laying around in
various project folders that could be better used if
it was easier to find?
How many of us have "borrowed" someone's code,
modified it to to suit our
needs, then developed and refined the code (e.g. a
function) over time to
the point where it may now be useful to others? Such a
feature of the wiki
would allow users to share code more easily, but also
increase productivity
because now every R user (beginners - advanced
experts) has easy access to
the code he/she needs on a daily basis to get work
done.

Once again, I have no programming skills outside of R
so I don't know if
what I propose is possible. I realize there is lots of
details to such a
proposal, and I don't pretend to know any of how this
would work (if it is
even possible). I only share my idea because it has
been a desire of mine
for so long to have an easy to use, browsable code
library that I can refer
to daily. I would think that others would like such a
feature. If the R wiki
can make the use of R easier and save time and energy,
then I think such a
feature would greatly increase the value of R and the
wiki.

. . .  just my two cents.

~Nick