[R-wiki] require login to modify the wiki?

Drew drewbrewit at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 15:20:41 CET 2006

I agree that portions of the wiki should be open to
all (this is consistent
with the wiki philosophy), but I also believe that
some pages/sections
should be restricted to certain individuals/groups.
One of the main concerns
of the R-core team is that of quality of content, and
it is my conern too.
People will visit and use the R wiki only if there is
useful (and quality)
content there. By limiting access (at least initially
or during development
phase) higher quality is likely.

The biggest value I see in a wiki is the sharing of
code via some sort of
code library. I think this is currently called 'rtips'
at the wiki. I see
this as a place where users at all levels will be able
to find something
useful to get daily tasks accomplished. The R wiki
should save people time
by helping them find the right code quickly to get
their work done.

Perhaps a useful feature might be a way to identify
easily (via a small
graphic or color-coded text) what contributions have
been submitted
anonymously verses those submitted by registered users
vs. those submitted
by the maintainer(s) of the wiki.