[R-wiki] adding content and front page

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 2 00:09:02 CET 2006

Jack Tanner wrote:
> From: paul sorenson
>
>>Quite apart from your "when" question, I would be interested to see what
>>others feel about adding posts.  My thoughts are that if the information is
>>valuable then it should be added, OTOH, I wouldn't want to encourage people
>>to simply cut and paste posts from r-help to the wiki, that could possibly
>>get out of hand.
>

> My approach is to cut and paste, and then edit for legibility. How might it
> get out of hand?

   [snip]

   I think the point is the "edit for legibility" part.  Ideally people
would (as it sounds like you plan to) (a) think
about where in the Wiki structure a particular comment belongs;
(b) wikify appropriately; (c) edit  down to just the
parts that are correct and necessary, and (d) if necessary
add further clarifying comments.

   This is a lot more work than just mindlessly cutting
and pasting ... if people cut&pasted without doing this
work, it could make a lot of work for other people trying
to clean the information up to the point where it was useful.

   In my opinion you're on the right
track.  (Anyone who actually bothers to ask the question
is probably OK.)

    Ben