[R-wiki] adding content and front page

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:49:12 CET 2006

From: paul sorenson
>Quite apart from your "when" question, I would be interested to see what
>others feel about adding posts.  My thoughts are that if the information is
>valuable then it should be added, OTOH, I wouldn't want to encourage people
>to simply cut and paste posts from r-help to the wiki, that could possibly
>get out of hand.

My approach is to cut and paste, and then edit for legibility. How might it
get out of hand?

My basic understanding is that if there's a general interest (rather than
one-off) question, and a reasonable response on r-help, that's exactly the
kind of information we could preserve in the wiki. (Naturally, it's also
preserved in the mailing list archive, but search there is apparently
something that doesn't happen often enough among posters to r-help. If the
wiki is organized by task, as we'd discussed before, it might be of more
help than archive searches.) Furthermore, if we get enough of a body of
content in the wiki, my hope is that responses on r-help will begin to take
the form "see this wiki page; I've edited it with the goal that it will
become more helpful to someone coming to this problem with your
perspective."

P.S. Philippe, could you make an annoucement whenever the wiki becomes open
for editing?