[R-wiki] adding content and front page

paul sorenson sourceforge at metrak.com
Wed Feb 1 21:51:19 CET 2006

Jack Tanner wrote:
> Can I add content to the wiki today? My criteria are simple: if I come
> across a post on r-help that I think is worth preserving, I'd like to add it
> to the wiki. For example, I want to get this into the wiki:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/54018 If I can add it
> now, from where should I link to it? Or should I hold off until other
> wikis/other content are imported in?
>
> Second, what are we going to do about the front page? The bulk of the text
> that's there now is appropriate for a "how to use/edit this wiki" tutorial
> page. The front page is probably better used for a high-level table of
> contents, or, perhaps, a featured "tip of the day" that refers to a more
> in-depth article in the wiki (like how Wikipedia has a featured article on
> their front page).

Quite apart from your "when" question, I would be interested to see what
others feel about adding posts.  My thoughts are that if the information
is valuable then it should be added, OTOH, I wouldn't want to encourage
people to simply cut and paste posts from r-help to the wiki, that could
possibly get out of hand.