[R-wiki] Gelman's comments about R tips vs Wiki

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Apr 20 02:20:33 CEST 2006

   Andrew Gelman posted a link to "Rtips" on his web site.  Gregor
(Gorjanc???) pointed out that they were being moved to the Wiki,
and Andrew said he preferred the simpler page [see below].  This
disturbs me ... I'd hate to maintain two different versions, and
I'm uncomfortable with the idea that we're putting the information
in a format where it is *less* accessible (at least to some readers).
Is there any way we can tweak the design of the Wiki so more people like
Andrew will find it useful?
    Revisiting the discussion from a couple of days ago, where
Phillipe said that the "one big page" model was going to be too
hard on the server -- is there any way to make it easier?  Can
pages be cached?  Or should we all donate money toward upgrading?
(I do wonder a bit how well the server will manage if this
all takes off and it starts getting thousands of hits a day ...)

   [in the mean time I have added an explicit link to R tips in the Wiki]

   cheers
      Ben

-------------------------
Comments

Hello!

These pages are now being moved to R wiki.

Posted by: Gregor at April 17, 2006 11:53 PM

Gregor,

I find the R Wiki a bit overwhelming and actually prefer Johnson's
simpler page. For me, there's a point at which the nonlinearity of
hyperlinks just adds confusion. Perhaps this is one reason I still write
books.

I hope Johnson continues to maintain his webpage, or else I hope the
Wiki people put in a prominent link to the old version.

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 18, 2006 06:17 AM