[R-sig-teaching] [dr.of.chaos at gmail.com: Teaching R in high school and college science and math courses]

User Hayden bob at statland.org
Wed May 18 00:17:50 CEST 2016

I applaud your goals and what I can see on Amazon looks good.  In
addition to inertia and addiction to graphing calculators, high shcool
teachers (I've worked with them in AP Stats. for 20 years or so) are
concerned about access and equity.  Students can take the TIs
anywhere.  There is no guarantee that students will have a suitable
computer or Internet access at home.  Many high schools have very
limited computer labs but the TIs can be used in a regular classroom.
My counter to all that is that you can run R on computers people are
paying the recycling center to haul away.  But there is no organized
effort to make use of that resource.  In addition to gathering up the
computers, one needs to find spaces to put them in.

Years ago I made a scientific version of Puppy Linux that included R
and lots of other math. software.  That meant your recycling center
computer did not have to have a working/legal OS.  Or even a working
hard drive!

I posted a link to your book on Amazon in the AP Statistics
Community.  There is a small but growing number of R users there.

----- Forwarded message from Brian Dennis <dr.of.chaos at gmail.com> -----