[R-sig-teaching] Teaching R in high school and college science and math courses

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 18 08:55:38 CEST 2016

    > I applaud your goals and what I can see on Amazon looks
    > good.  In addition to inertia and addiction to graphing
    > calculators, high shcool teachers (I've worked with them
    > in AP Stats. for 20 years or so) are concerned about
    > access and equity.  Students can take the TIs anywhere.
    > There is no guarantee that students will have a suitable
    > computer or Internet access at home.  Many high schools
    > have very limited computer labs but the TIs can be used in
    > a regular classroom.  My counter to all that is that you
    > can run R on computers people are paying the recycling
    > center to haul away.  But there is no organized effort to
    > make use of that resource.  In addition to gathering up
    > the computers, one needs to find spaces to put them in.

    > Years ago I made a scientific version of Puppy Linux that
    > included R and lots of other math. software.  That meant
    > your recycling center computer did not have to have a
    > working/legal OS.  Or even a working hard drive!

    > I posted a link to your book on Amazon in the AP
    > Statistics Community.  There is a small but growing number
    > of R users there.

Dear colleagues,

As an R Core member  (who does a little of volunteering for
school childern - mostly below high-school though)
I've always dreamed of R entering the (upper) high-school level.

I agree that R-SIG-Teaching is an appropriate place to keep this
topic going.  To us non-Americans, can you explain "AP
Statistics" to us and possibly use URLs when you mention
websites?

One remark about TI's:  They are still the thing now, but in
some places, including some here in Switzerland, schools now
start using tablets in the class room. I'm sure that something
close to tablets / smartphones / (their successor)  will be what
future school kids will be using.

Best regards,

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  (and R Core Team)