[R-sig-teaching] Teaching R in high school and college science and math courses

Nick Carchedi nick at datacamp.com
Thu May 19 17:27:40 CEST 2016

Dear fellow R fanatics:

Thanks to all of you for posting on this topic, especially to Brian
Dennis for kicking things off. Teaching R and stats to young people is
something that is near and dear to my heart and I've been giving it a
great deal of thought over the past 6 months. My company (DataCamp)
and I are very interested in being part of the discussion and part of
the solution.

I'll focus on AP Statistics for a moment, since for young people in
the US, it's often the first (and unfortunately for many, their last)
encounter with a traditional intro stats curriculum. From talking with
people closer to the matter than I am, I've gathered that there are
two primary constraints on the current AP Statistics curriculum:

1. Lack of (uniform) access to modern computational tools (e.g. R)
2. Lack of sufficient knowledge/training among high school teachers

The practical reality is that, given these constraints, the AP
Statistics curriculum cannot not optimized purely for its didactic
value to students, but rather to be 1) compatible with the
capabilities of a graphing calculator and 2) teachable by someone
without any formal training in statistics or programming.

This is not in any way intended to be a knock on the folks who have
taken on the challenge of designing the curriculum or the amazing
teachers on the front lines of public school education in the US. They
are doing the best they can given the circumstances. But it does seem
to me that both of the constraints above are solvable given the right
strategy, resources, and time.

Let's please keep this discussion going. If anyone disagrees with my
assessment, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Even better, I hope we can
begin discussing potential solutions. I have a few in mind :)

Sincerely,
Nick

--
Nick Carchedi
Director of Course Development | DataCamp