[R-sig-teaching] workspace management

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Tue Nov 2 20:45:26 CET 2010

My solution is a bit different.

Most student oriented files are relatively small (less than 1 MB) and
can just be copied to the clipboard from their editor/spreadsheet
progam.

Most students know how to open excel or text files.  I have them do
that and then just copy the data to the clipboard (from Excel or
OpenOffice or Word or their favorite text editor)

then,
my.data <- read.clipboard()   #from the psych package

and their data are in a suitable format.
If they are copying from excel,
my.data <- read.clipboard.tab()  #will read directly from an Excel file
my.data <- read.clipboard.csv()  # will read from a file in comma
delimited form.
etc.

The one problem I have had doing this is some student's do not know
what the clipboard is!

Bill