[R-sig-teaching] workspace management

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 18:52:28 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Ralph O'Brien, PhD
<obrienralph at gmail.com> wrote:
> ========================
> If you have a path with backslashes in the Windows clipboard you can
> just do this:
>
> myPath <- readClipboard()
> setwd(myPath)
>
> which eliminates the need for any conversion.
> ========================
>
> But this is still Windows-centric functionality (not platform independent)
> and it hides what dataset was in play (not a good programming practice in
> the real world).

You are already converting backslashes to forward slashes which is
only needed for Windows; however, we can make this completely generic
by using:

myPath <- readLines("clipboard")

which works on Windows and Linux and maybe Mac (I don't have one).  If
you don't have a newline in your clipboard it will give a warning on
Windows but you can ignore that as it will still work.

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com