[R-sig-teaching] workspace management

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Nov 2 19:23:02 CET 2010

> In the real world, there are also strong programming integrity reasons to
> hard code paths directly into our scripts. This leaves no doubt about what
> dataset was being analyzed, etc.

The whole point of using a working directory is so that you _don't_
have to do that.  Any hard coded path makes reproduction on another
computer a real pain - you should always rely on the analyst setting
the working directory from outside of the script, otherwise you lose
most of the advantages of a working directory.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/