[R-sig-ME] Suggestions on how to correct a misapprehension?

Stuart Luppescu |upp @end|ng |rom uch|c@go@edu
Wed Dec 14 02:25:33 CET 2022

On 12/14/22 02:39, Douglas Bates wrote:
> I have never gone through the process of proposing an edit in a Wikipedia
> article.  As I understand it I would need to create a login etc.  Would
> anyone who does have such a login be willing to propose an edit and save me
> the steps?

I was in this situation recently. I found AN ERROR in Wikipedia and
resolved to fix it, but the Wikipedia admins wouldn't let me. I had been
logged into my VPN on DigitalOcean, and they disable all attempts to
edit articles from DigitalOcean. I had to log out of the VPN, and erase
my Wikipedia cookies before I could correct the entry. In any case, I
think I have a Wikipedia login, but I couldn't remember it so I just did
the edit as "guest". If you want to be able to talk about your edit with
other people post hoc, I think you might need a login. Otherwise, just
do it without a login.

--
Stuart Luppescu
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)