[R-sig-ME] random effect variance greater than output variable variance

Norman DAURELLE norm@n@d@ure||e @end|ng |rom @grop@r|@tech@|r
Wed Nov 9 22:05:41 CET 2022

Dear Ben,

is there something important about the variance being attached to the intercept ?

If a factor influences the output variable, the deviation it accounts for is the same when it is applied to the intercept or not (meaning wether X, R1 and R2 = 0) isn't it ?

Concerning the number of years, I mainly set them as random effects because I thought you used random effects when you know that you do not observe all levels.

additionnally, Paul Johnson wrote this in a recent previous answer :

[ The minimum number of blocks/groups required to support a random effect is discussed in Ben Bolker's GLMM FAQ wiki:

https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#should-i-treat-factor-xxx-as-fixed-or-random

"One point of particular relevance to ‘modern’ mixed model estimation (rather than ‘classical’ method-of-moments estimation) is that, for practical purposes, there must be a reasonable number of random-effects levels (e.g. blocks) – more than 5 or 6 at a minimum." ]

So, if you are of the opinion that practicality prevails over philosophy about when a variable should be used as a random or fixed effect, apparently 5 is ok.

It may be worth noting that I don't wish to predict the outcome, simply to describe the effct of my fixed effects on the output.

And I think that using year as a fixed or a random effect changes the values for the fixed effects (disease and rainfall), so I would actually rather have a reasoning that makes theoretical good sense than something that is pragmatic for use behind the treatment of the year factor.

Regards,

Norman