[R-sig-ME] GLMM replicated data

Mollie Brooks mo|||eebrook@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 13 17:13:30 CET 2021

You probably want crossed random effects of month and point ID:

model=glmer(p~cover of habitat + (1|month)+(1|ID), famlily=poisson, data=data)

Does your variable "cover of habitat" change over the months to possibly capture the effect of temporal variation in
habitat availability that you want? If "cover of habitat" is constant through time, then all of the temporal variation will be represented in your random effect of month. If  "cover of habitat" changes through time, then it will include part of the temporal variation, but some will still go into the random effect of month.

Using the Poisson distribution is an assumption that is usually violated in ecology. After fitting the model, you could check for over- or underdispersion and then consider a negative binomial distribution if it’s overdispersed or a Conway Maxwell Poisson if it’s underdispersed. I wrote about dispersion issues in this paper: Brooks, M. E., K. Kristensen, M. R. Darrigo, P. Rubim, M. Uriarte, E. Bruna, and B. M. Bolker. 2019. Statistical modeling of patterns in annual reproductive rates. Ecology 00(00):e02706. 10.1002/ecy.2706. Let me know if you want a copy.

Cheers,
Mollie