[R-sig-ME] Using Robust Standard Errors lme4

Suresh N Neupane @neup@ne2 @end|ng |rom @tudent@g@u@edu
Mon Nov 8 12:49:25 CET 2021

Dear all,
I am using lme4 package to run a hierarchical logistic regression model (with random county effect) for my binomial dependent variable, COVID death (0/1). This is a very large dataset with ~ 8 million observations.
I need to find the robust standard error but was not sure about any package. I tried robustlmm (although my DV is not continuous) and got this error when used MerDeriv (sandwich):
Error in UseMethod("estfun") :
no applicable method for 'estfun' applied to an object of class "c('glmerMod', 'merMod')"
The real tricky part is it takes several hours to compute because of the dataset length.
All I need is to get robust standard error values.
I already fit the models:
fit <- glmer(death ~ (1|county_fips_code) + IV).
Thank you so much,
Suresh Neupane