[R-sig-ME] Why || doesn't zero out the correlations in lmer

Phillip Alday me @end|ng |rom ph||||p@|d@y@com
Fri Oct 8 23:46:24 CEST 2021

This is a well-documented issue: || doesn't zero correlations between a
categorical variable's levels. As far as I know, there are
software-development/technical reasons for this, not statistical ones.

The afex package has an implementation that zeroes everything out.