[R-sig-ME] Convergence in glmmTMB but not glmer

Daniel Wright d@n|e|@wr|ght @end|ng |rom uconn@edu
Tue Oct 20 20:48:17 CEST 2020

" It's often a good idea when using an offset such as log(nights) to
*also* (alternatively) try using log(nights) as a predictor: using
log(nights) assumes that the number of counts is strictly proportional
to the number of nights measured (log(counts) ~ log(nights) + <stuff> ->
counts ~ nights*exp(stuff) , whereas using log(counts) allows for some
saturation effects (log(counts) ~ alpha*log(nights) + <stuff> -> counts
~ nights^alpha*exp(stuff)) "

Hi Ben, to respond to your comments I think it's necessary to explain a bit
about my dataset if you don't mind.

For my research, I've collected bat acoustic data and invertebrate samples
at 26 regenerating forest stands. Each site was monitored for
a minimum of two consecutive nights, three when weather permitted. On the
last night of each monitoring effort, nocturnal flying insects
were collected to observe the influence of prey biomass on activity in
selected sites. In order to include invertebrate biomass as a variable
in model selection, I've averaged passes per night as a general measure of
activity and used the single night of invertebrate sampling
as representative of available prey biomass. Bat activity in a single
location is notoriously variable from night to night, and
activity is typically average across sampling nights.

I will try log(counts) as per your suggestion. I appreciate the help.

I apologize if my response was too lengthy for this platform. This will be
my first contribution to the e-sig-mixed-models mailing list.