[R-sig-ME] Convergence in glmmTMB but not glmer

Tue Oct 20 20:14:49 CEST 2020

On 10/20/20 2:02 PM, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
> Daniel sent me the data in private.
>
> A couple of remarks on the dataset.
> - the response is non-integer. You'll need to convert it to integer
> (total number) and use an appropriate offset term (log(nights)).
> - make sure the factor covariate is a factor and not an integer.

   If the response is non-integer, that makes my comment about
overdispersion not necessarily relevant (check again after re-fitting).

   It's often a good idea when using an offset such as log(nights) to
*also* (alternatively) try using log(nights) as a predictor: using
log(nights) assumes that the number of counts is strictly proportional
to the number of nights measured (log(counts) ~ log(nights) + <stuff> ->
counts ~ nights*exp(stuff) , whereas using log(counts) allows for some
saturation effects (log(counts) ~ alpha*log(nights) + <stuff> -> counts
~ nights^alpha*exp(stuff))

> Please see if that solves the problem. What happens if you use a nbinom
> distribution as Ben suggested?
>
> Personally, I don't like to "standardise" covariates. It makes them much
> harder to interpret. I prefer to center to a more meaningful value than
> the mean. And rescale it by changing the unit. E.g. Age ranges from 1 to
> 15 with mean 6.76. I'd use something like AgeC = (Age - 5) / 10. This
> gives a similar range as the standardisation of Age. But one unit of
> AgeC represents 10 year. And the intercept refers to Age = 5. Making the
> parameters estimates easier to interpret IMHO.

   Yes, although 'strict' standardization (scaling by predictor SD or
2*predictor SD) allows direct interpretation of the parameters as a kind
of effect size (Schielzeth 2010), whereas 'human-friendly'
standardization trades interpretability for the comparison of magnitudes
being only an approximation.