[R-sig-ME] Convergence in glmmTMB but not glmer

Mollie Brooks mo|||eebrook@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 21 15:48:12 CEST 2020

> On 20Oct 2020, at 20:48, Daniel Wright <daniel.wright using uconn.edu> wrote:
>
> " It's often a good idea when using an offset such as log(nights) to
> *also* (alternatively) try using log(nights) as a predictor: using
> log(nights) assumes that the number of counts is strictly proportional
> to the number of nights measured (log(counts) ~ log(nights) + <stuff> ->
> counts ~ nights*exp(stuff) , whereas using log(counts) allows for some
> saturation effects (log(counts) ~ alpha*log(nights) + <stuff> -> counts
> ~ nights^alpha*exp(stuff)) "
>
> Hi Ben, to respond to your comments I think it's necessary to explain a bit
> about my dataset if you don't mind.
>
> For my research, I've collected bat acoustic data and invertebrate samples
> at 26 regenerating forest stands. Each site was monitored for
> a minimum of two consecutive nights, three when weather permitted. On the
> last night of each monitoring effort, nocturnal flying insects
> were collected to observe the influence of prey biomass on activity in
> selected sites. In order to include invertebrate biomass as a variable
> in model selection, I've averaged passes per night as a general measure of
> activity and used the single night of invertebrate sampling
> as representative of available prey biomass. Bat activity in a single
> location is notoriously variable from night to night, and
> activity is typically average across sampling nights.
>
> I will try log(counts) as per your suggestion. I appreciate the help.

Was there possibly a miscommunication here? I think Ben was just using log(counts) in reference to math, not the formula.
Continue to use counts as the response, but try log(nights) as a predictor rather than offset.

cheers,
Mollie