[R-sig-ME] Intercept Variance Components Equal 0- Change Score

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Sat Sep 14 11:49:47 CEST 2019

Without seeing the rest of your model, it's hard to tell. I suspect you
model is something like:

change_score ~ 1 + some_predictor + (1|ID)

Then you only have a few change_scores by participant and the
by-participant variation is indistinguishable from the residual
variation. Because the random-effect for participant measures the
variation due to participant *beyond* the residual variation, it goes to
zero here.

Phillip