[R-sig-ME] Intercept Variance Components Equal 0- Change Score

Daniel P Moriarity tu|98250 @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Sat Sep 14 05:03:29 CEST 2019

Hello all,

I am revising some MLMs using lmer and a reviewer suggested we use change
scores as our outcome. When I did so, I noticed that the variance
components for the intercept were both 0 (see below) regardless of the
variable I was predicting to (all 6 are now change scores). Any ideas as to
why this might be? The change scores are not person-centered, and we
confirmed that there is between-person variability using the VAR function
(see below the random effects ouput). Thank you.

Random effects:

  Groups   Name        Variance Std.Dev.

ID       (Intercept)  0.00    0.000

Residual             19.46    4.411

Number of obs: 310, groups:  ID, 130

> var(Data_group_by$CDI_Change)
[1] 6.353349

My best,
Daniel

Doctoral Student, Clinical Area
Mood and Cognition Lab
Department of Psychology
Temple University
1701 North 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
daniel.moriarity using temple.edu <hannah.frank using temple.edu>

*WARNING: This e-mail may contain material that is confidential and is for
the sole use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.  There are no
guarantees that electronic communications are secure and protected.*